Sunday 21 October 2012

Hidden promise

 

DSCN7557


I’m really bad at delayed gratification. This serves me well in my career as a cook: think of a cake, bake a cake, eat a cake. Repeat as desired. This impatience, however, is a very poor quality indeed in a gardener. So much preparing and tilling and sowing, tending and pruning and nurturing and waiting. Endless sun-scorched, rain-lashed waiting. Gardening is optimism in action.

Fortunately, to keep us cheerful, some of the most glamorous flowers of all sprout quickly and undemandingly, going about the business of turning themselves into objects of beauty and wonder with precious little intervention from us.

Each autumn I go through the Blom’s Bulbs catalogue, seduced by its loving descriptions of colour, form and scent. Soon the catalogue is more Post-it note than paper. I find the descriptions as soothing as a cup of warm milk at bedtime: ‘Extremely strong and free flowering …Showy and weather resistant …Many small lilac flowers in the shape of stars…Lemon yellow cups becoming milk white with age.’

DSCN7560

 

DSCN7550

My order just arrived - a pleasingly heavy box filled with brown paper bags labelled with gaudy photographs, the number of bulbs carefully hand written in the top-right-hand corner. It’s astonishing to think that in a few months, these fat, papery bulbs will push through the cold spring soil in a bobbing tide of yellow, orange, purple, pink and white.

It’s easy to understand the tulipomania that engulfed Holland in the 1630s, so beautifully evoked in Deborah Moggach’s luscious novel, Tulip Fever.  And as I squint at the greedily long list on my delivery note, I draw a little comfort from the thought that in 1637, a single tulip bulb cost more than ten times the annual income of a skilled craftsman. How very lucky we are.

DSCN7552
This year’s list.

2 comments:

  1. You've got a lovely selection of bulbs and are SO organized! I am more of a 'find a space and fill it' gardener. As a result, I am frequently surprised at what pops up in the spring.

    I was told that gardening teaches one patience. It hasn't worked on me..yet! I hope you share photos of you spring flowers with us. I am sure they will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debs, I am an incorrigible crammer of plants into any available space. It does lead to some unexpected combinations from time to time, which I rather like. I'm also forever moving things about if they don't quite suit where they are. They're absolutely not allowed to become complacent. I will post some pictures in the spring, so long as the squirrels don't gorge themselves silly on them all. X

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now closed.
This site has migrated to http://www.deborarobertson.com

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...